Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Beatles of 1964

NOTE:  Unfortunately, links expire.  Please email me jstoskop@gmail.com to let me know if the particular link you are interested in has expired so I can update it.  I'll try my best to avoid this situation. 

Sunday, 12 January 1964 - London Palladium, London
The Beatles make a second live appearance on "Val Parnell's Sunday Night at the London Palladium"

Their five song set includes:
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"This Boy"
"All My Loving"
"Money (That's What I Want)"
"Twist and Shout"

To date I have never come across any video or film from this appearance by The Beatles.  I have no information if the recording was lost, or what might have happened to it.  Maybe since it was broadcast live, there was no recording of it made.



Friday, 7 to Saturday, 22 February 1964 - U.S.A. "The Beatles In America" aka "What's Happening! The Beatles in the USA" & "The Beatles in New York"


A marvelous documentary about The Beatles and their historic first landing upon American shores.  All of it is captured by Albert and David Maysles and finally made available to the general public in 1991, first on LaserDisc and then again in 2004 on DVD, the second release adding bonus footage.



Sunday, 9 February 1964 - Studio 50, New York City  "The Ed Sullivan Show"


During the afternoon this day, The Beatles were recorded for the first time in America before a live audience performing just three songs:
"Twist and Shout"
"Please Please Me"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"

This would turn out to actually be broadcast as the final appearance for this first U.S.A. visit on "The Ed Sullivan Show" Sunday, February 23rd, 1964.

That evening of February 9th, 1964 their first "Ed Sullivan Show" would be broadcast live with five songs performed:
"All My Loving"
"Till There Was You"
"She Loves You"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"

All of "The Ed Sullivan Shows" featuring The Beatles have been available on DVD since 2003.



Tuesday, 11 February 1964 - Washington Coliseum, Washington DC


The Beatles' first full concert in America!  Twelve songs performed and recorded by CBS for theatre presentations via closed-circuit telecasts on Saturday, 14 & Sunday, 15 March 1964 by National General Corporation.  The set list includes:
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"From Me To You"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"This Boy"
"All My Loving"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Please Please Me"
"Till There Was You"
"She Loves You"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"Twist and Shout"
"Long Tall Sally"

Apparently, the story goes that "Long Tall Sally" was not included in the original telecasts.  For a very short while in 2010, and to celebrate The Beatles' catalog being available on iTunes, one could see the entire concert, including "Long Tall Sally" for free on their computer.  As of this writing you can find this concert presentation on "Vimeo", however I'm providing a more clearer copy here.




Sunday, 16 February 1964 - Deauville Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida  "The Ed Sullivan Show"


The return visit to "The Ed Sullivan Show" was preceded by a dress rehearsal which was taped but not broadcast.  It began at 2:00pm and although the first song is slightly truncated, and the sound in one area is very distorted with a couple of microphones failing, it's still an interesting video to see.  (Apologies for my opening titles being so close to the start of "She Loves You", but they do not cut off the music, that was already missing.)  Also at one point the synchronization is not off, that's John singing the wrong words with his microphone not picking his vocal up.  At the very ending of the video the sound faded out and then back again with much distortion, so I just let it fade out and remain silent.  The six songs performed are:
"She Loves You" (missing the very beginning)
"This Boy"
"All My Loving"
"I Saw Her Standing There" (suffers from some distortion)
"From Me To You"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"


The evening show that was broadcast had the same setlist.



Sunday, 23 February 1964 - Teddington Studio Centre, Teddington  "Big Night Out"


Back home in the UK only the morning before and already The Beatles had a television appearance scheduled.  This was their return visit to the Mike and Bernie Winters show, "Big Night Out".  The show was broadcast on February 29, 1964 by most of the ITV Network stations and throughout London on March 3, 1964.  The Beatles performed in a few skits and mimed to a set-list of six songs, however, "Money" was omitted from the actual broadcast.  What survives is:
"All My Loving"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Till There Was You"
"Please Mister Postman"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand" (played over the credits)

"Please Mister Postman" was played also at the beginning of the show as The Beatles were taped 'arriving' via the River Thames.  To avoid repetition, I used the instrumental track for this portion of the show.  All other tracks are original mono and instead of fading out "I Want To Hold Your Hand" at the end of the credits, I just let it play out.

Update:  April 14, 2024 - I've fixed the link [below] to point to a place in which you can actually perform the download. The original location back-stabbed me by allowing me to upload a lot of material before pulling the plug and demanding a fee to keep things going.

The original file was 6-1/2 times larger as [since then] I've learned to compress the data which now properly crops the picture allowing it to fill the screen.  This explains why the opening text is now 'cut-off' on each side but I find that a loss of no consequence.

I do see another copy of this program on YouTube today which contains the full show with all of the other acts.  My downloadable copy contains just The Beatles' appearances.  While what I have here is not crystal clear it's no worse than the YouTube version, in fact I think it's slightly better and still watchable.  Certainly the music sounds better.

Finally, as the YouTube copy shows, Paul McCartney's performance of "Till There Was You" is truncated to only just over one minute.  My copy cuts away to some contemporary photos to fill out the entire 2:14 track.




Thursday, 19 March 1964 - BBC Television Theatre, London "Top of the Pops"

Making their debut on this new show, The Beatles mimed to their new single "Can't Buy Me Love" backed with "You Can't Do That" to be broadcast on March 25, 1964.  It appears that this, along with many "Top of the Pops" performances, is lost.   So far, I haven't even been able to secure a photograph from the event.



Friday, 20 March 1964 - Television House, London "Ready, Steady, Go!"


A return visit to this show hosted by Keith Fordyce.  The Beatles mimed 'live' (the photo above is from the earlier rehearsal) to three of their records:
"It Won't Be Long"
"You Can't Do That"
"Can't Buy Me Love"

Also, "This Boy" is played in the background as The Beatles take a look at some artwork made by their fans and once more I used the instrumental track for "Please Mister Postman" in place of the full track that was originally played at the end of the program.  All tracks are the original studio mono mixes.




Sunday, 19 April, 1964 - IBC Studios, Portman Place, London


Something new!  The Beatles record at another studio instead of EMI for an upcoming television performance. Although they would be miming during the performance, instead of them singing to their records, specially recorded soundtracks would be assembled on this day at IBC Studios in central London. 

When "The Beatles Anthology 1" LP was released, we were blessed with some of these three-track tapes, and in Stereo no less!  They even uncovered an unused track, "Boys" to go along with "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Long Tall Sally" and the very rare "Shout".  

As good a job Apple did releasing these tracks, they didn't release them all and, sure enough, my memory served me correctly and sifting through my pile of Beatles bootleg LPs I found the remaining recordings from this day including "Twist and Shout", "Roll Over Beethoven" & "Can't Buy Me Love".  That's not all, they also recorded a medley of their hits up to that point including "Love Me Do/Please Please Me/From Me To You/She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand".  

It's a mixed bag because although my bootleg recordings are in mono and not perfect, they were actually better than I expected and the unfortunate thing about "The Beatles Anthology 1" discs is the rarity "Shout" fades out much too soon for my comfort, so with this package I've been able to assemble everything together as complete as I can find it for one full presentation.  

Since The Beatles used this collection of recordings for their television show "Around The Beatles" which would be recorded later, I married the original recordings to the video of the show.  The video is about as good as you can get it taken from a LaserDisc copy made available to the public in 1985.  (I don't know what the status is of it today, whether it's still available or simply out of print.)  

The synchronization isn't perfect.  (The unadulterated version, complete with screaming fans is made available further down this page.)  I think this was my first try at doing something like this so I suppose it's not my best work, but after all it's really the recordings that the viewer should be interested in.  In the place of "Boys", since it was not used in the TV Special, I inserted contemporary photos where it plays at the beginning of this video.  The performances are:

"Boys" (Stereo 'Beatles Anthology' Version)
"Twist and Shout" (Original Mono Bootleg)
"Roll Over Beethoven" (Original Mono Bootleg)
"I Wanna Be Your Man" (Stereo 'Beatles Anthology' Version)
"Long Tall Sally" (Stereo 'Beatles Anthology' Version)
"Love Me Do/Please Please Me/From Me To You/
She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand"  (Original Mono Bootleg)
"Can't Buy Me Love" (Original Mono Bootleg)
"Shout" (Original Complete Mono Bootleg)





Sunday, 26 April 1964 - Empire Pool, Wembley  "New Musical Express 1963-64 Annual Poll Winners' All-Star Concert"



The second appearance of The Beatles for this annual event.  Unfortunately, the previous year's performance was not recorded.  This year, however, the event was captured live and broadcast Sunday, May 10, 1964.  There are other copies of this on the internet, one of them of the complete show with all of the other acts.  This is of just The Beatles themselves, and I think it's a better copy without any of the time-code I see on other versions, and the correct aspect ratio is respected here.  The set-list included:
"She Loves You"
"You Can't Do That"
"Twist and Shout"
"Long Tall Sally"
"Can't Buy Me Love"





Tuesday, 28 April 1964 - Wembley Studios, Wembley "Around The Beatles"


This is the entire show which was taped before a live audience and broadcast on Wednesday, May 6, 1964 and it included many musical guests. Along with miming to their pre-recorded soundtrack from IBC Studios (recorded 19 April 1964) The Beatles participated in a spoof of "the Interlude section of Shakespeare's 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' (Act V Scene I)". This is a pretty good copy, the best I've seen, but even so I believe the beginning number by The Beatles was truncated at its start so I simply cut in my copy of the rest of the program which came from a legitimate LaserDisc source from 1985. As promised, you get to see their show as it was originally presented with all the audience reaction. If you still wish to hear only the music soundtrack, then I refer to the post above dated 19 April 1964. Of course the set list here is identical, with the exception of "Boys" which was never in the TV special:
"Twist and Shout"
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"I Wanna Be Your Man"
"Long Tall Sally"
"Love Me Do/Please Please Me/From Me To You/
She Loves You/I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Shout"





Friday, 5 June 1964 - Hillegom, The Netherlands  "The Beatles in Nederland"


The Beatles 1964 International Tour took them first to Denmark and then Holland where, on this day, they were taped for VARA-tv.  Jimmy Nicol filled in for Ringo who was ill at the time.  (Apologies to Jimmy as I wasn't trying to shove him out of the photo above, it's just that this was the best I could find to represent the show thus far.)  Jimmy was quite well represented in the TV Special as the first half of the show he is able to participate in a Beatles' question and answer session with the audience.  I'd seen some of this before but this is the first time to catch the whole presentation intact with the music performance that follows.

Admittedly, this video is a little fuzzy, but still worth viewing and the best I've seen yet.  Once more The Beatles mimed to six tracks, but this time the microphones were left on, the guitars plugged in and if the group wished to join in and perform while the music was playing they could.  The set-list includes:
"She Loves You"
"All My Loving"
"Twist and Shout"
"Roll Over Beethoven"
"Long Tall Sally"
"Can't Buy Me Love"

The show was broadcast the following Monday, June 8, 1964.  What is uniquely fun about this appearance by The Beatles is the audience 'participation' as they begin to come 'on stage' with the group during the performance of "Long Tall Sally".  By the time "Can't Buy Me Love" begins, The Beatles are surrounded by fans dancing and acting up.  The Beatles themselves seem to take it all as a laugh, but Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall (and I'm told Derek Taylor) do their best to stop the crowd until they finally give up and force the group to leave the stage with Jimmy Nicol and "Can't Buy Me Love" still playing in the background.





Wednesday, 17 June 1964 - Festival Hall, Melbourne, Australia  "The Beatles Sing For Shell"  [Photo taken from their arrival in Melbourne, June 15, 1964, which catches all 'five' Beatles including Jimmy Nichol]


After a performance in Hong Kong, and before their next stop in New Zealand, the Beatles landed in Australia in Adelaide and then made it to Melbourne where one of their shows would go before the television cameras on the 17th of June 1964 for an hour long program, "The Beatles Sing For Shell" which was broadcast 1 July 1964.

I have found a wonderful copy of the show, including the opening acts, which I highly recommend to check out because it's rare to see them and in such good quality of video.  They are Sounds Incorporated, performing several tunes including "Fingertips", "Brontosaurus Stomp", "The Spartans", "Maria", "William Tell Overture" and more!  Then The Phantoms take the stage with their first guest, singer Johnny Devlin performing "C'mon Everybody", "What'd I Say" & "Jailhouse Rock" followed by the next guest, singer Johnny Chester covering "(You're So Square) Baby I Don't Care", "Miss Ann", "Fever" & "Let's Have A Party".


Of course if you'd rather skip over the opening acts, I separated The Beatles from that portion of the show and you can see just their performance.  Now, wouldn't you know it?  This portion of the show has the most problems and what a shame.  Nonetheless, it also contains the best moments.  To begin with there were only 10 songs The Beatles were performing at their concerts during this leg of the trip.  (Although Ringo was back, he doesn't perform one of his songs yet.)  9 of these songs were taped for this TV Special but unfortunately the very first song is missing a large portion of the beginning and "Till There Was You" is missing all but the first couple of seconds at the beginning of it and "Roll Over Beethoven" only seems to exist as the latter portion of it.  Yet, the entire show's audio still exists.

To compensate for the missing video, I inserted contemporary photos over those parts which allows you to still enjoy the audio and get a sense of the entire show.  Also, at the very end of the broadcast there just so happens to be a very long portion in which the camera scans the audience and the some of the stage in Festival Hall, which is kind of interesting, but there's really nothing happening.  It is at that point I decided to insert the audio of the one missing song, "This Boy".  Since it was never intended to be a part of the telecast, I figured I could put it here as a sort of 'encore' performance.

One final note to mention, and I don't know how they did it, but all of the audio that has accompanying video is presented in a 'stereo' format.  I mean this really sounds like it was recorded in stereo.  The source from which I got this tape states that they used a radio broadcast soundtrack synchronized with the original television broadcast to create this effect, but to me it sounds so clean that I'm left quite impressed.  (The inserted audio where there is no video is mono only.)

Finally, my source claims this came from the original tape master from Channel 9 in Australia, which may account for no credits existing pertaining to "The Beatles Sing For Shell" which was what the original program was called.

When I created this video (and the one of the opening acts above) my software allowed me to make titles but the aspect ratio was for wide-screen.  I didn't think it mattered, as long as the original video retained it's original aspect ratio for a television screen.  Not thinking ahead, however, I have found I could greatly reduce the size of the file to a fraction of what it was when I made it, making it much easier to access, by slicing off those unused sides of the screen.  This, however, accounts for my titles being cropped along with those 'contemporary photos' I added.  Thinking it over, I figured you are not interested in seeing my titles (which you can still make out) it's the original concert you want to see and that remains untouched, so I've left it like this for the upload.


Here is the set-list from this show:
"I Saw Her Standing There" (missing video at the beginning)
"You Can't Do That"
"All My Loving"
"She Loves You"
"Till There Was You" (missing video)
"Roll Over Beethoven" (mostly missing video)
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Twist and Shout"
"Long Tall Sally"
"This Boy" (audio only inserted after the concert)






Tuesday, 7 July 1964 - Lime Grove Studios, London "Top of the Pops"


Back home in London and ready to promote "A Hard Day's Night", the film, The Beatles also returned to "Top of the Pops" promoting their new single miming to "A Hard Day's Night", "Things We Said Today" (the 'b' side) and the title track of their new EP "Long Tall Sally".  It was broadcast the next day, and as the other "Top of the Pops" appearances, it seems to be lost.  (I am not certain if this photo is taken from that location or not but it was labelled the same day, and it was a busy one, and it also happens to be Ringo's birthday, hence some of the clowning around with him.)



Saturday, 11 July 1964 - Teddington Studio Centre, Teddington     "Thank Your Lucky Stars (Summer Spin)"



Due to an ITV technicians strike, the pre-taping event for this broadcast was cancelled forcing an unusual (for "Thank Your Lucky Stars") live performance, which perhaps accounts for why nothing from this appearance has shown up yet, and therefore I think it is lost.

There are some cool photos of The Beatles out there, however, who had just come from the Liverpool premiere of "A Hard Day's Night" arriving in London at 3am, and then taking a boat down the River Thames for an afternoon rehearsal of the show.

The show transmitted early that evening where they mimed to, "A Hard Day's Night", "Long Tall Sally", "Things We Said Today" & You Can't Do That".





Sunday, 19 July 1964 - ABC Theatre, Blackpool  "Blackpool Night Out"


As with "Summer Spin" being the summer edition of "Thank Your Lucky Stars" so was "Blackpool Night Out" the same for "Big Night Out", again with hosts Mike and Bernie Winters.  It appears also that this show seems to be lost to time, except there does exist, in good condition, the audio of The Beatles' performance.


So far, my upload of the audio from this show is still being allowed on my YouTube account and it is my 2nd most popular video.  If only we could be allowed to post other Beatles related material, yet I can't for the life of me understand how some things are allowed and some things not, and the criteria changes over time, so hence that is why for the most part I'm giving up, and instead putting it all together here in one place.  

What is nice about this performance, although without the video, is it is live and the five songs The Beatles played on this date are:
"A Hard Day's Night"
"And I Love Her"
"If I Fell"
"Things We Said Today"
"Long Tall Sally"



Tuesday, 18 August 1964 to Monday, 21 September 1964 - North American Tour (USA & Canada)


For this portion of my post, I'd like to refer you to my earlier endeavor on this blog to cover the first North American Tour of The Beatles.  They were truly amazing in that pretty early on in their career they'd conquered radio, securing their own show even, while still making appearances on other shows.  Finally, a Beatles' radio show was such an event it became a 'Special' which grew more important as the shows became less frequent and The Beatles leapt into more television appearances.  The television shows were what I wanted to cover mostly here in this post, even though they still did some radio in 1964.

When they came back to America for this tour, a new type of Beatles 'show', if you will, began to emerge and that was known as the press conference.  Originally, manager Brian Epstein did not want The Beatles to partake in interactions with the press but the demand was such he had to give in, and then soon found these press conferences to be a good vehicle for The Beatles because they could handle themselves so well doing them.

When I did these North American posts I was celebrating the tour's 50th anniversary and so at the time tried to get access to as many of their press conferences, or news bits, and even some performances (legitimate or not) that I could.  To take a look at this period, here are my links:

Follow The Beatles on their exciting journey through North America starting on August 18, 1964.  This portion takes us day-by-day through to September 5, 1964.


The British Invasion is complete as this portion of the journey continues from where Part 1 left off,  September 5, 1964 through to end of The Beatles' incredible first North American Tour on September 21, 1964


Saturday, 3 October 1964 - The Granville Studio, London  "Shindig!"



This is interesting in that "Shindig!" was an American TV show produced by an Englishman that lived in Hollywood, Jack Good.  Since The Beatles had just returned from America, there was no way they were going back so soon simply for this appearance, so instead it was taped in the UK for this special all-British edition.

I don't have the other acts which appeared on the show and the photo above is from the very end as the credits roll and the Karl Denver Trio are playing.  You can catch a very short glimpse of this on the video, which is a bit fuzzy and the sound is not the best, but still worthwhile to see.

Speaking of the sound, I replaced the first song with an audio track that has a 'stereo' feel to it.  I have no idea how this was achieved and only used it because it was better than the audio on the video I have.  Looking at the performances today, I wonder if they made special tape recordings of the songs first and played over those as I question some of the synchronization between their playing and the music.

The performance was live and so the Beatles covered "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey" at the beginning of the program and "I'm A Loser" and "Boys" came later.  The show was networked on US television Wednesday, 7 October 1964 and not broadcast in Britain, which I suppose means the American audience got to hear, for the first time I know of, a Beatles' track well before its release on record!




Wednesday, 14 October 1964 - Granada TV Centre, Manchester "Scene at 6:30"


A bit unusual, this performance, as The Beatles mimed to one song, "I Should Have Known Better" even though they were now so deep into recording their next LP.  This was broadcast on Friday, October 16, 1964 and although nothing has come up of it in video form to my knowledge, I have seen some good photos taken of the performance, including this one above.



Saturday, 14 November 1964 - Teddington Studio Centre, Teddington "Lucky Stars Special" [Photo from the rehearsal.]



Taped on this day for broadcast the next week, Saturday, November 21, 1964, The Beatles mimed to four songs:
"I Feel Fine"
"She's A Woman"
"I'm A Loser"
"Rock And Roll Music"

For the first two tracks I used the 'special American' mono mixes which George Martin made for USA release and the last two are in the original stereo recordings.  The video is a bit fuzzy, I must say, but I believe still worthwhile to see.





Monday, 16 November 1964 - Riverside Studios, Hammersmith, London "Top of the Pops"

Another presumably lost "Top of the Pops" performance promoting their new single miming to "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman" which would be broadcast Thursday, December 3, 1964.   Once more, I could not locate even a photograph from this event.




Monday, 23 November 1964 - Wembley Studios, Wembley  "Ready, Steady, Go!"


For the third and final performance as a group on "Ready, Steady, Go!" with host Keith Fordyce, The Beatles mimed to four of their songs which was then broadcast the following Friday, November 27, 1964.  The set-list included:  
"I Feel Fine"
"She's A Woman"
"Baby's In Black"
"Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey"

The sound is a bit rough at the beginning but it slowly improves.  The tracks are all in their original stereo, and apologies for things seemingly going out of synch, in particular during "Baby's In Black". This was one of my earlier efforts and have since figured out better ways to hold the synchronization.


Watch this video on my DailyMotion Account here:










***

No comments:

Post a Comment